john's modern cabins
Location: 2 miles east of Arlington, MO Date Built: 1930s Other Names Used: Bill and Bessie's Place GPS Coordinates: N37.93653 W91.91260
Orignially called Bill and Bessie's Place when it was built in the 1930s from logs cut from the trees of the surrounding Ozark hills. It included a dance hall, cafe, service station, and cabins. For a while, it had a bad reputation, and even had a murder committed there. A young man killed his estranged wife, who had left him a couple weeks earlier.
In 1951, Bill and Bess Bayless sold their business to John and Lillian Dausch from Chicago, IL. John renamed it John's Modern Cabins, and built four additional frame cabins. He sold beer and snacks. He earned the nickname of 'Sunday John' for his practice of selling beer on Sunday in violation of Missouri State Law.
In 1965, Dausch sold some of his property to the Missouri Highway Department in preparations for Interstate 44, which was in the planning stages. His wilfe died later that year, and with the opening of the Interstate, and dwindling business, he closed his business. He continued to live in the larger log cabin he had built until his death in 1971.
In the mid 1970s, a family from St Charles, MO bought the property for the purpose of making it a private hunting lodge, but those plans were abandoned when the husband died. As the property deterioted, the family wanted to tear down the remaining cabins. 'Friends of the Mother Road' was formed, and to date, has prevented destruction of this, and other relics, on Route 66. For more information, see http://www.jmcnews.com/index.html.